Explore the video provided and reflect on the themes of a PLN in a professional capacity.

I found this week’s interview with Brad Baker very interesting and I appreciated hearing about how he has been building his PLN. During his decades of career in education he built and supported indigenious programs and got involved with the anti-racism committee. In his personal life he is also an appointed trustee for the Squamish nation to support land claim issues. He mentioned that the community he built became the support system for him and that the connections he created through social media not only helped him personally but it also allowed for healthy and respectful conversations within the learning community (Baker & Miller, 2021). He also said that through social media channels like Twitter, stories and conversations that haven’t been told before, can be heard which helps us grow personally and professionally as well.

Which social media platforms are beneficial in education?

There are many social media platforms, such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc., that could be beneficial in education; however, the effectiveness of using them will depend on the user. First, without being competent in using the platform, it might be challenging to connect with the right community (Veletsianos, 2010). Second, understanding the strategies and levels used to connect, share and interact with your community is essential. This can either strengthen or weaken your PLN. Lastly, as Veletsianos mentions that it’s important to know your connections, their skills and backgrounds, so you can refer them to others and become part of their PLN too. I personally connected this way with many people whose expertise I benefitted from and they became part of my PLN. I believe that not only teachers but everyone should be connecting and expanding their PLN in order to learn from each other and to be part of healthy and respectful conversations.

Consider the equality that exists when all have the same platform to engage community dialogues. 

As Brad Baker mentioned that his involvement in social media helped him to connect with other indigenious communities and to hear voices and perspectives that haven’t been heard before in a healthy and safe environment. Also, the girl who used Instagram to educate about the Squamish nation and the attractions enable other communities to connect with them, to learn about them and to promote necessary business for the area (Miller, 2021).

Miller, J., & Baker, B. (2021, June 10). Brad Baker EDCI 338. Youtube. https://youtu.be/C5z8iHxW2n4

Veletsianos, G. (2010). Developing Personal Learning Networks for Open and Social Learning. In Emerging technologies in distance education (pp. 109–128)essay, AU Press.